Remove Windows Vista from XP Duel boot
Vista does not have an uninstall option in add/remove programs, upgrade is permanent. You should parallel install Vista at the beginning until you get use to it.
You will need your Windows XP disk to complete this process.
|Need Service Packs?|
Removing Vista from a duel boot system is not a task for the faint hearted, so make sure you do a full back up before trying. as there is a chance of hard drive destruction.
The main reason for this problem is the new boot loader. So follow the next steps after you backup.
- Make double sure you have backed up.
- Now boot of your XP CD
- Boot into recovery console by pressing "R" at the following screen.
- Type command "FIXBOOT C:" (No speech marks)
- Next type "FIXMBR", read serious warning messages and press "Y" to continue
- Exit and reboot.
- Finally edit Boot.ini and delete line with "Longhorn" or "Vista" on it and delete the folder Vista resides in.
|Tags: Uninstall Windows Vista, remove vista from boot up, restore XP boot menu, restore XP boot loader, Windows vista uninstall help, remove Windows vista, restore windows XP, help to uninstall Windows vista.|
- Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
- Ensure you have the Vista DVD in the DVD drive.
- Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “d:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, plus replace d: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
- Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
- Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
- Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP root folder (C:)..
And now you have returned your computer to its previous state, without Vista and without the new bootloader.